|"The Love of Johnny Johnson"|
| Season 1, Episode 6 |
# in Series
|Air date||October 9, 1974|
|IMDb||The Love of Johnny Johnson|
|Written by||Gerry Day|
|Directed by||William F. Claxton|
| Previous episode:|
Episode 105: Mr. Edwards' Homecoming
| Next episode:|
Episode 107: If I Should Wake Before I Die
Laura's crush on a much older student, Johnny Johnson, is unrequited. His interest in Mary results in sibling rivalry between the two normally close sisters. Eventually Charles explains to her that someday she, like Mary, will have many beaus vying for her.
Laura falls in love with a new student, Johnny Johnson. Johnny, who is older than Laura, is quite interested in her older sister Mary. Although Mary is not interested in Johnny, Laura's actions cause tension between the sisters.
- Michael Landon: Charles Ingalls
- Karen Grassle: Caroline Ingalls
- Melissa Gilbert: Laura Ingalls
- Melissa Sue Anderson: Mary Ingalls
- Lindsay and Sidney Greenbush: Carrie Ingalls
- Barney: Jack
- Charlotte Stewart: Eva Beadle
- The song that Pa plays on his fiddle "that's guaranteed to put Carrie to sleep" is one of the main themes of the show.
- This is the first time that Laura dresses up for school to impress a boy, but it's not the last. She also does it in Season 4's The Rivals and Season 6's Back to School.
- In the final scene, young Laura has a crying scene with Charles. Melissa Gilbert (Laura) has said in previous interviews that sometimes, when she really needed to get in a crying mode, Michael Landon (Charles) would call her over and crouch down in front of her, with tears pouring down his face, and he would say, "Do you have ANY idea how much I love you?" and that was enough to make Gilbert tear up. "He'd say, 'Okay, are you ready'?" Gilbert once said in an interview, "and we would just nail these scenes. I didn't feel manipulated in any way. He made me feel so special, and so loved."
- Laura's infatuation with Johnny in this episode is only the beginning of her obvious preference for older men in the series. When she falls in love with Almanzo, he is also a significant amount older than she (at least 10 years).
|Previous episode:||Next episode:|
|Mr. Edwards' Homecoming||If I Should Wake Before I Die|