|Little House on the Prairie|
|Season 1, Episode 7|
|Air date||October 30, 1974|
|Written by||Juanita Bartlett|
|Directed by||Alf Kjellin|
Episode 107: If I Should Wake Before I Die
Episode 109: Ma's Holiday
While attending a party at Nellie Oleson's, Laura hurts her ankle and becomes friends with Olga, a friendly girl with a birth defect causing one leg to be shorter than the other. The Ingalls decide to throw their own party and while Charles helps Olga despite her fathers lack of support, Laura exacts her own special revenge on Nellie Oleson.
Laura becomes good friends with a lonely schoolmate, Olga, who has one leg that is shorter than the other. Charles secretly helps Olga by making her a special shoe. Olga's father finds out and is terribly upset until he sees Olga happily running and playing with the other children. 
|Cast Member||Character Portrayed|
|Michael Landon||Charles Ingalls|
|Karen Grassle||Caroline Ingalls|
|Melissa Gilbert||Laura Ingalls|
|Melissa Sue Anderson||Mary Ingalls|
|Lindsay Greenbush||Carrie Ingalls|
|Sidney Greenbush||Carrie Ingalls|
- In Laura Ingalls Wilder's fourth book On the Banks of Plum Creek, Laura got very angry when Nellie said to Caroline, "I wouldn't wear my best dress for just a country party." Nellie says something very similar to this in the episode, too, but Laura doesn't seem at all affected by it. In the book, though, that's the whole reason Laura played the trick on her in the creek, because she was so upset that somebody spoke to her beloved mother that way.?
- In Laura Ingalls Wilder's book On the Banks of Plum Creek, she did play a joke on Nellie in the creek, but the trick involved getting a bunch of leeches (or "bloodsuckers," as Laura called them in the book) to stick to Nellie's skin. In this episode, however, Laura scares Nellie with a crayfish (Nellie thought it was a crab) and gets her to fall face-first in the creek, but Nellie is not physically attacked by anything.?
- Notice how much calmer and less cruel Mrs. Oleson is in this episode, particularly during Nellie's party scene with her doll. Mrs. Oleson is gently reminding her kids not to be rude, and when the doll's dress is ripped, she is much more calmer when talking to Laura about it. She says in a slightly annoyed voice, "You really should take care of things that don't belong to you," but in later seasons, Mrs. Oleson would have been shamelessly nasty toward Laura if such a situation arose, and she almost definitely would have made a big fuss, insisting that Laura's parents pay for a new doll dress. The character was definitely brought up several notches as the show progressed.?
- Look closely when Nellie falls face-first in the creek and they do a close-up on her face. She is supposed to be angry and pouting, but you can clearly see how hard she is trying not to laugh.?
- This episode closely follows the events from the chapters 'Town Party' and 'Country Party' from Laura Ingalls Wilder's book On the Banks of Plum Creek though Olga and her story doesn't appear.?
- Kim Richards (who plays Olga in this episode) is the sister of Kylie Richards who played the role of Alicia Sanderson Edwards.?
|Previous episode:||Next episode:|
|If I Should Wake Before I Die||Ma's Holiday|