|"Episode 116: Christmas at Plum Creek"|
| Season 1, Episode 16 |
# in Series
|Air date||December 25, 1974|
|Written by||Arthur Heinemann|
|Directed by||William F. Claxton|
| Previous episode:|
The Lord is My Shepherd, Part 2
| Next episode:|
When Christmas comes around, all the Ingalls' are caught up in the secrecy and excitement. Charles and Mary take secret jobs to obtain a gift for their loved ones. Laura meanwhile is left out of the fun when she can't find anything to give or any way to raise money. While she succeeds in making the Christmas a memorable experience for everybody, Carrie remembers the true meaning of Christmas.
The Christmas holiday is approaching and the members of the Ingalls family go about their holiday shopping in secrecy. Laura is able to buy her mom the stove that she wanted after she sells her horse to Mr. Olsen.
- Michael Landon: Charles Ingalls
- Karen Grassle: Caroline Ingalls
- Melissa Gilbert: Laura Ingalls
- Melissa Sue Anderson: Mary Ingalls
- Lindsay and Sidney Greenbush: Carrie Ingalls
- Barney: Jack
- In this episode, 3-year-old Carrie has two significant one-on-one scenes with Charles; first when she asks Charles what Christmas is, and again when she and Charles are talking about Santa in the middle of the night on Christmas Eve. We don't see Carrie interact this much with her father again until Season 6's The Godsister. Most fans credit this as their favorite Carrie scene in the series.?
- When Laura gives her pony away to Nellie, Nellie's word-to-word assurance to Laura is "I'll be good to him, I promise." This is a promise that Nellie quickly broke, as evident by her behavior at the beginning of Season 3.?
- While begging her parents to let her work with Mrs. Whipple, Mary is talking so quickly that she accidentally says "And I sowed her how I could show! I mean, I showed her how I could sew." This was an actual goof-up that Melissa Sue Anderson (Mary) made during filming, as she discussed in a later interview, but she and the other actors did a great job at continuing the scene despite it.?