|"The Runaway Caboose"|
| Season , Episode |
# in Series
|Air date||February 11, 1976|
|IMDb||The Runaway Caboose|
|Written by||Ernie Durham|
|Directed by||William F. Claxton|
| Previous episode:|| Next episode:|
At a train station, Mary, Laura and Carl wander into a caboose. Without warning, the caboose begins to move, and it soon is on a crash course with an oncoming train. Charles and Mr. Edwards go on a race against time to try to warn the locomotive operator and stop the runaway caboose.
- Michael Landon: Charles Ingalls
- Karen Grassle: Caroline Ingalls
- Melissa Gilbert: Laura Ingalls
- Melissa Sue Anderson: Mary Ingalls
- Lindsay and Sidney Greenbush: Carrie Ingalls
- Barney: Jack
- The locomotive used on this episode was Sierra Railroad #3, which appeared in many TV shows and movies. One of its more famous appearances was on the series Petticoat Junction as part of the "Hooterville Cannonball".?
- Carl: (about going on the trip with Charles and Mr. Edwards) I wish we could go. I couldn't actually go on the train, but I could at least see it up close.
- Mary: Why don't you ask your Pa?
- Carl: It wouldn't do no good.
- Laura: But we're studying railroads. It would just be like some extra special homework.
- Carl: Yeah!
- Laura: Mary can ask our Pa.
- Mary: Why me?
- Laura: Because you can put your glasses on and look serious. If I ask him, he'll think I just want to go for fun.
- Mary: It's all my fault. If I had only jumped when you told me to!
- Carl: It's not your fault. It's mine. I'm the one who got you on this thing in the first place.
- Mary: I'm the oldest. I shouldn't have let you do it.
- Carl: You couldn't have stopped me. You're a girl.
- Mary: Well, what's that got to do with it?
- Carl: A lot, that's what!
- Mary: Well, what?
- Carl: Never mind.
- Mary: There, you see? It was my fault.
- Carl: It was not!
- Laura: It was both of your faults! You feel better now?
|Previous episode:||Next episode:|
|A Matter of Faith||Troublemaker|