| Season , Episode |
# in Series
|Air date||March 24, 1976|
|Written by||B.W. Sandefur|
|Directed by||William F. Claxton|
| Previous episode:|| Next episode:|
Mrs. Whipple's son, Granville, returns to Walnut Grove to resume his career as a music teacher. He becomes close to Mary Ingalls who offers to copy music in exchange for lessons. His new life takes a turn for the worse when a young boy, whose father he abandoned, reminds him of his past with the help of a haunting bugle. He relapses into morphine addiction which cause in his eventual suicide.
- Michael Landon: Charles Ingalls
- Karen Grassle: Caroline Ingalls
- Melissa Sue Anderson: Mary Ingalls
- Melissa Gilbert: Laura Ingalls
- Lindsay and Sidney Greenbush: Carrie Ingalls
- Queenie Smith: Mrs. Whipple (Uncredited)
- Richard Mulligan: Granville Whipple (Uncredited)
- Dabbs Greer: Reverend Alden (Uncredited)
- Kevin Hagen: Hiram Baker (Uncredited)
- Alison Arngrim: Nellie Oleson
- Eddie Hice: Roy Collins
- Ruth Foster: Melinda Foster
- Jonathan Gilbert: Willie Oleson
- This is the only episode where Queenie Smith (Mrs. Whipple) has a prominent role.?
- Notice the scene where Laura is trying to play her Pa's fiddle, and it sounds horrible, and we hear a child's voice saying "Yuck!" The problem is, Laura's mouth does not move when this line is heard, suggesting the word may have been dubbed in later. However, it is possible to say "yuck" with her mouth in the position it is in. ***All outdoor scenes were voice dubbed over due to modern background noise, according to Melissa Sue Anderson's autobiography.?
- Granville is the first of three Little House characters with a Morphine addiction. Albert Ingalls and Mr. Edwards' adopted son Matthew Rogers each go through withdrawal in Season 9 of the show.?
- During the scene where Charles discovers the suicide, he turns to Mrs. Whipple, who clutches her coat in horror. There is inexplicably a tarantula on her arm near the sleeve.?It is not a tarantula, but rather the fringe of her shawl, being ruffled by the breeze and the movement of her arm.?
|Previous episode:||Next episode:|