|"Days of Sunshine, Days of Shadow (Part 1)"|
| Season , Episode |
# in Series
|Air date||February 15, 1982|
|IMDb||Days of Sunshine, Days of Shadow (Part 1)|
|Written by||Don Balluck|
|Directed by||Michael Landon|
| Previous episode:|| Next episode:|
- Michael Landon: Charles Ingalls
- Karen Grassle: Caroline Ingalls
- Melissa Gilbert: Laura Ingalls Wilder
- Lindsay Greenbush and Sidney Greenbush: Carrie Ingalls
- Katherine MacGregor: Harriet Oleson
- Allison Balson: Nancy Oleson
- Jason Bateman: James Cooper Ingalls
- Missy Francis: Cassandra Ingalls
- Wendi Turnbaugh and Brenda Turnbaugh: Grace Ingalls
- Kevin Hagen: Dr. Baker
- Matthew Laborteaux: Albert Quinn Ingalls
Special Guest Star
- Laura (to Almanzo): You don't need a wheelchair! You could only walk if you tried!
- Almanzo: We've been all through this. You don't know what it's like.
- Laura: And you don't know what it's like for me to watch my husband just give up! I think you want to be a cripple.
- Almanzo: What kind of thing is that to say?
- Laura: The truth, that's what!
- Almanzo: Beth, you know that I have tried.
- Laura: Oh, yes. Just long enough to give up. Doc Baker gave you exercises, and you won't even do them!
- Almanzo: They don't work! Can't you understand that?
- Laura: No, I don't! I don't understand anything about you anymore!
- Laura (to Almanzo): It's so warm upstairs. Do you mind if I sleep down here tonight?
- Almanzo: You really want to lie next to a cripple?
- Laura: I want to lie next to my husband!
- Almanzo: He doesn't exist anymore.
- Laura (while in bed with Almanzo): I know we've had a hard time choosing a name, but I have the perfect one if it's a girl. Cassandra brought me a rose today, and I just thought, "That's it. Rose Wilder." It's perfect. What do you think? Almanzo? (turns around, Almanzo is sound asleep, she smiles) Rose Wilder it is.
- Eliza Jane: How's Laura?
- Caroline (turning to Almanzo): She's fine and so is your new baby daughter! Meet Rose Wilder! Isn't she beautiful?
- Almanzo: Good thing it's a girl. A man can't very well play ball with his son when he's a cripple!
- Charles (trying to take out a loan for Laura and Almanzo): All right, they need about three months to get back on their feet. If a loan could be paid up to date and paid three months in advance, how much would that take?
- Mr. Anderson: Well, let's see... (does the calculations) Close to a hundred dollars.
- Charles: That much?
- Mr. Anderson: I'm afraid so.
- Charles: What will it take for the bank to loan me that much?
- Mr. Anderson: A lien on your house. But I wouldn't advise it, Charles. Times are hard. You could be placing your entire family in jeopardy.
- Charles: Part of my family already is. I can't let my kids lose their house.
- Charles (to Caroline): I wish there was another way, but there just isn't.
- Caroline: But the railroad. It's so dangerous!
- Charles: That's why they pay so much.
- Caroline: You'll have to miss the birth?
- Charles: I'm afraid so. But at least my grandchild will have a roof over his head.
- Caroline: Charles, I want you to promise me that you won't stay on that job one day longer than you have to.
- Charles: Caroline, I'm gonna be all right.
- Caroline: Not one day longer.
- Charles: I promise. I told the children I'm going on a great adventure. If they see you taking it like this...
- Caroline (voice breaks): If I lost you, I don't think I could go on.
- Charles: Oh, don't say that. (hugs her) I'm coming back to you. I love you.
|Previous episode:||Next episode:|
|Second Chance||Days of Sunshine, Days of Shadow (Part 2)|